Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Future Hit - Where the Wild Things Are


After watching the first trailer many months ago, I was blown away by how sophisticated a movie based on a short children's book could look. I was also skeptical on how the mainstream audience would accept it.

The marketing in the past few weeks has been very solid and changed my opinion on its potential success.
The trailer, TV spots, and posters have been of top quality and very consistent. It's not only going to attract families, but also the college-aged and older adults. Where the Wild Things Are has been heavily marketed to the college demographic, a segment that's particularly nostalgic of its childhood, through Pandora and spots during popular shows with the demo (The Office).

Where the Wild Things Are comes out October 16th against Law Abiding Citizen and The Stepfather. It should easily win the weekend and have its first three weeks competition free. Astro Boy is destined to bomb, so the only film Where the Wild Things Are has to worry about is A Christmas Carol, which starts November 6th.

Early prediction

Opening Weekend: $30 million
Total: $105 million

On a side note, my little brother actually shares the name of the main character, so the book has always been a big deal in my house. I myself can't wait for the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment